TraceMyIP.org

Saturday 9 February 2013

Mental Fitness


Our brain has done a pretty good job of protecting us, an example being our ancestors managing to avoid getting eaten by sabre-toothed tigers, but the human brain remains relatively easy to fool. Optical illusions, dreams, hallucinations, altered states of consciousness, and the placebo effect are just a handful of familiar cases where our brains perception of what is happening, doesn't correspond to whatever is actually occurring.



You can try and lesser these effects through mental exercises, for example video games can have a considerable effect on brain activity. Another example is a type of mental arithmetic practiced in Japan, counting devices relying on rows of beads are common in the country, but a valued skill is "anzan", which is very fast and accurate mental abacus in essence. Using these imagination-based calculating tools, the most skilled participants can sum fifteen three-digit decimals in less than two seconds. Contestants begin using the mental abacus so immediately that afterwards they cannot remember any of the individual three-digit numbers.

Skills that can rely on mental practice are also familiar to those who need to practice physical motions regularly, such as musicians and athletes. For instrumentalists, having an actual instrument to play is pretty handy, but it turns out that having a mental copy of one can be almost as good. The musical community in general has been aware of this for decades or more. These days, neuroscience is beginning to catch up to musicians who practice mentally. Although the details are still somewhat elusive, the key to the success of mental imagery as a rehearsal technique is that most of the same neurological regions are invoked by mental practice as by real practice.


As with rehearsing a piece on the piano, practicing a complex physical task in the mind alone is nearly as effective a learning strategy as actually physically doing it. But it doesn't stop there. In a 2004 study, a group of researchers from the Cleveland Clinic Foundation decided to find out whether mental practice of a minor exercise routine could actually result in physical changes to the target areas of the body. One group of subjects performed a regular exercise involving moving a finger sideways; a second group regularly imagined doing the same exercise but did not go through the physical motions; and a third (control) group did nothing unusual with their fingers at all. After 12 weeks of training, the physical finger-workout group showed an increase of 53% in finger strength; the control group did not show any changes in finger strength; and the mental-finger-stretching group showed an increase of 35%. In other words, the mental-exercise group physically increased the strength of one of their fingers by imagining, repeatedly, over the course of about three months, that they were exercising it. They didn't have to lift a finger in order to convince their brains that they were, in fact, lifting a finger.



Neuroscientists are still working on the enigma of why this might be. Clearly the brain has been tricked. Nonetheless, it is clear that the human imagination alone is capable of doing things that are certainly more than imaginary in their results.

6 comments:

  1. I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information.


    Fitness Club in Panchkula

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorite’s web page list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my site as well and let me know what you think. Thanks.
    ---------------------------------------
    Mental Arithmetic

    ReplyDelete
  3. really awesome blog, will for sure follow this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am Brunt Walter by name and
    I have been playing euro million for many years now and i have never won anything instead i
    wasted money in buying ticket, on one faithful day, I saw some guys that also play euro million, I heard them discussing how they won 2.8million dollars with the help of DR. IYERE, I now went where they were seating discussing it, on getting there I excuse one of the guys and asked him about the DR. IYERE that helped them won 2.8million dollars, he told me everything about DR.IYERE and he went further to tell me how he has been helping them and I said within my mind that i'm going to give him a trial although I doubted him and I really contacted him and it worked out for me and I won the sum of 2,000,000 dollars,right now i'm very happy for the good work he has done for me and I promised to share his good work to the whole world, I want to use the opportunity to tell everyone that need his help to contact him on this email ( iyerespellcaster@gmail.com) or call +447031946556 and ADD ON WHATSAPP on this +2348151871347 thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To give a good exercise to brain and develop a child brain teaching a child abacus and vedic maths can help a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never believed i would be healed someday.This disease started circulate all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came on to search the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (HARPS and other from ALS) by this Man DR.OKABEN and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to dr.okabenherbalspell@gmail.com telling him about my (Hepatitis B and Skin Tag) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me, so i went to my Doctor for test again, when the result came out, behold i was totally free from the Hepatitis B as the Doctor OKABEN assured me, So friends my advise is if you have such disease or virus like HSV, HPV, HBV,MNA, ALS Cancer or any other at all you can email DR.OKABEN Name: DR. OKABEN Email: dr.okabenherbalspell@gmail.com Tell: call +2349029519146 Whatsapp: +2349029519146

    ReplyDelete